Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189)

Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189)

What is a Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189)?

With a Permanent Resident work visa, you can live and work in Australia. Not everyone is eligible for the PR work visa. Only the skilled foreign-wrokers who hold occupations on the Australia’s Skilled Occupation list are eligible for the Subclass 189 visa. Even if you hold occupations from that list, that does not necessarily mean you can submit your application. This requires the applicant to take a skill test and be sponsored by an employer, a family member, or a state or territory government.

A new route to permanent residency for New Zealand citizens.

This additional pathway became a fresh stream within the Skilled Independent (subclass 189) Visa on July 1, 2017. It made it easier for New Zealand citizens living in Australia to become permanent residents of Australia. To get this benefit, the applicant has to meet the following requirements to apply:

  • You must have a Special Category (subclass 444) Visa.
  • Have lived in Australia continuously for five years, beginning before February 19, 2016.
  • Meet the requirements of taxable income.
  • You must meet specific health requirements, which vary depending on your circumstances, such as time spent in another country in the previous five years, citizenship, and expected activities in Australia. The validity of a health examination is 12 months.
  • Certain character requirement standards must be met. You must present a police certificate from each country you lived in for 12 months or longer in the previous ten years after you turn 16.
Advantages of Skilled Independent Work (Subclass 189) Visa

What Are the Advantages of a Skilled Independent Work (Subclass 189) Visa?

After obtaining an Australia Skilled PR Visa, you will be eligible for a variety of benefits from the Australian government. The Skilled Independent Work Visa gives you and your family all the advantages of permanent residency in Australia. A few of them are listed below.

  1. You can freely move in and out of Australia. It means that you are allowed to travel anywhere in Australia and not just that, you can travel to other countries as well.
  2. You have the complete freedom to choose whatever course you want to study.
  3. You can sponsor a family member's visa provided they meet specific requirements, which can be temporary or permanent.
  4. You have complete freedom to work for any employer.
  5. You can take advantage of the benefits of the Australian Government's health insurance.
  6. Once the necessary criteria are completed, you are entitled to apply for Australian citizenship.
  7. You may also be eligible for some social security benefits.

How Do I Get a Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189)?

Follow the following steps in order to get the Australian skilled independent work visa.

Step 1:

As mentioned before, You have to hold occupations on the Australian Skilled occupation list. This Visa is only available to those who can fill one of the positions on the list.

Step 2:

Check that you meet all the eligibility requirements. To apply, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You have to be under the age of 50.
  • You must be profound in the English Language.
  • Keep an eye on your medical situation. You must be physically and emotionally fit to work and live in Australia.
  • Comply with the character requirements.
  • Do not owe any money to the Australian government.
  • Willing to sign the Australian Values Statement.

Step 3:

Complete a Skills Assessment. To be eligible for the Subclass 189 visa, you must complete a Skills Assessment and obtain an acceptable score. Your score must be higher than the one specified in your invitation letter.

Step 4:

Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect. Following that, you must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) via SkillSelect. SkillSelect will ask you a series of questions about your background, skills, and relevant work history.
Your EOI will be seen by Australian authorities and made available to Australian employers who may look to hire someone with your skill set. If you receive a nomination or sponsor, and your EOI meets the visa requirements, they will invite you to apply for the 189 visa.

Step 5:

Find a sponsor or a government nomination. The Skilled Independent Work Visa (subclass 189) requires that you be sponsored by an employer or a family member, or that you be nominated by a state or territory government. If you find an appropriate sponsor, they will send you a letter of invitation to apply for the visa.
Note: If you do not have a sponsoring relative or employer, you may be able to find one through the SkillSelect programme. This programme connects skilled workers with employers seeking foreign-national employees. Through this programme, a state or territory government may also nominate you.

Step 6:

Complete the necessary paperwork with your sponsor. Once you have found a sponsor, you must have them nominate you for the visa. You can frequently apply for this visa at the same time your sponsor does.

Step 7:

Fill out an application for the Skilled Independent Work Visa (subclass 189). All necessary documentation must be gathered and submitted within 60 days of finding an employer and getting a nomination.

Step 8:

Wait for the decision. The DHA may take several months to make a decision on your visa application.

Step 9:

Receive your visa and start working. When your application is approved, you will receive your visa and be able to work in Australia.


If you are having any trouble with Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189), then we here at CDRWriterAustralia have the best team to assist you with that. We also provide services like CDR Report Writing, CE Writing, Summary Statement Writing, RPL Report Writing, KA02 Report Writing, CDR Report Review.