Software tester specifies, develops and writes test plans and test scripts, produces test cases, carries out regression testing, and uses automated test software applications to test the behaviour, functionality and integrity of computer software, and documents the results of tests in defect reports and related documentation.
They test software products to ensure they meet the quality and performance standards expected by end-users.
|Major Group||2 - Professionals|
|Sub-Major Group||26 - ICT Professionals|
|Minor Group||261 - Business and Systems Analysts, and Programmers|
|Unit Group||2613 - Software and Applications Programmers|
|Weekly Earnings||AUD 2003|
|Work full-time hours||89%|
|Growth expected in the next 5 years||Very Strong|
|Gender share||44% Female, 56% Male|
|Average full-time||40 Hours|
|Skill level rating||Very high skill|
|Average Age||Males: 36.9|
Skill Priority in 2023
The Skills Priority List (SPL) offers an elaborate perspective on professions experiencing a shortage at a national level and within individual states and territories in Australia. Additionally, the SPL provides insight into the projected demand for various occupations in the future.
- S: Shortage
- NS: No Shortage
- R: Regional Shortage
Software Tester 261314
|S||S||S||S||S||S||S||S||S||At Economy-Wide Average|
Occupation List Information
|Occupation on the Skill list||Occupation not on the Skill List|
|Combined Skilled Occupations List (STSOL MLTSSL)||Labor Market Testing Required for 457 List (LMTL)|
|Short-Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)||Medium Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)|
|Labor Market Testing Required for 457 List (LMTL)|
Unit Group: 2613 SOFTWARE AND APPLICATIONS PROGRAMMERS
Occupations in Unit Group 2613
- - Analyst Programmer 261311
- - Developer Programmer 261312
- - Software Engineer 261313
- - Software Tester 261314
- - Software and Applications Programmer nec 261399
The occupations in this unit group are involved in the development, design, testing, and maintenance of various software applications. They are responsible for creating software solutions that meet the needs of clients or organisations.
Skill Level Requirement
Skill Level: 1
Typically, software tester positions in Australia and New Zealand are classified under the ANZSCO Skill Level 1. To qualify for these positions, a bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering, or a related field is required, along with experience in software testing. Professional certifications such as ISTQB (International Software Testing Qualifications Board) or CSTE (Certified Software Tester) can also help demonstrate skills and knowledge in software testing.
Skills Assessment Authority
The ACS promotes the interests of its members by providing various services such as advocacy, professional development, networking, and certification.The ACS is also the designated authority for assessing the skills and qualifications of ICT professionals under ACS ANZSCO who want to migrate to Australia.
Here are the details of the types of visa options for software testers:
|ANZSCO||OCCUPATION||SKILLS ASSESSMENT||189||190||485||491 (STATE)||491 (FAMILY)||186 (DIRECT)||407 (TRAINING)||494 (REGIONAL SPONSORED)||482 (TSS SHORT TERM)|
Software testers can apply for Skilled Nominated 190 or Skilled Regional Nominated 489 visa under the Short-term Skilled Occupation List. However, they would need a state appointment to travel to Australia to qualify for a General Skilled Migration visa. If the occupation is not listed on the online assessment, they may need to find an employer sponsor in Australia as it may not be in demand in any country.
Task to Perform for Software Tester
- Developing and implementing test plans and test cases to ensure software products meet quality and performance standards
- Identifying and reporting defects, and tracking their resolution
- Collaborating with developers and other stakeholders to troubleshoot issues and ensure timely and effective resolution
- Ensuring that all software products are tested thoroughly and meet customer requirements
- Participating in the design and development of software products to ensure testability
- Providing feedback to improve software quality and performance
- PROFESSIONAL, SCIENTIFIC AND TECHNICAL SERVICES (46.9%)
- FINANCIAL AND INSURANCE SERVICES (17.5%)
- PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION AND SAFETY(8.5%)
- INFORMATION MEDIA AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS(5.0%)
- OTHER INDUSTRIES (19.2%)
|English Language Test||Minimum Score|
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS)||Minimum Score of 6 (Learning, Reading, Writing), 7 in Speaking and 7 Overall|
|Occupational English Test (OET)||OET result with a Minimum Grade B in all sections|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)||Minimum Score (Learning: 12, Reading: 13, Writing: 21, Speaking: 23 and Overall 93)|
|Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic||Minimum Score of 50 (Learning, Reading, Writing), 65 in Speaking and 65 Overall|
- Some states and territories in Australia have graduate exceptions for work experience requirements in specific occupations for international graduates.
- Specific requirements on Priority Skilled Lists may also apply for sponsorship or nomination in certain states or territories.
- UK, Canada, New Zealand, US, and Ireland citizens may be exempt from IELTS or OET for English proficiency. Still, for others, their English proficiency must meet the minimum level or licensing/registration criteria.
- It is essential to check the specific requirements for your chosen occupation and state/territory before applying for a skilled migration visa.
- Algorithm design and development
- Data structures
- Formal languages
- Operating systems
- Programming (application and / or system)
- Software Engineering
- Testing strategies and methods
- Artificial intelligence
- Automata theory
- Business Information Systems
- Business Process Reengineering
- Computer Science
- Database design
- Database implementation
- Human Computer Interaction
- Introduction to BIS
- Introduction to ICT
- Management Information Systems
- Object oriented technologies
- Project Management
- Quality management
- Requirements gathering
- Software validation
- System Design
- Systems Analysis
- Web engineering
If you have any questions related to the occupation of software testing, you can contact our expert RPL and CDR Writers. We provide various services to ICT professionals, including assessment of skills and qualifications for migration to Australia.